[lg policy] book notice: Television Dramatic Dialogue: Richardson

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 31 14:58:32 UTC 2010

Television Dramatic Dialogue: Richardson

Title: Television Dramatic Dialogue
Subtitle: A Sociolinguistic Study
Series Title: Oxford Studies in Sociolinguistics
Published: 2010
Publisher: Oxford University Press
                http://www.oup.com/us

Author: Kay Richardson

Abstract:

When we watch and listen to actors speaking lines that have been written by
someone else-a common experience if we watch any television at all-the
illusion of "people talking" is strong. These characters are people like
us, but they are also different, products of a dramatic imagination, and
the talk they exchange is not quite like ours.

Television Dramatic Dialogue examines, from an applied
sociolinguistic perspective, and with reference to television, the
particular kind of "artificial" talk that we know as dialogue:
onscreen/on-mike talk delivered by characters as part of dramatic
storytelling in a range of fictional and nonfictional TV genres. As well
as trying to identify the place which this kind of language occupies in
sociolinguistic space, Richardson seeks to understand the conditions of its
production by screenwriters and the conditions of its reception by
audiences, offering two case studies, one British (Life on Mars) and one
American (House).

http://linguistlist.org/issues/21/21-1550.html

Members who disagree with a message are encouraged to post a rebuttal.
(H. Schiffman, Moderator)