[lg policy] terminology question

tricento at UCALGARY.CA tricento at UCALGARY.CA
Wed May 5 16:09:58 UTC 2010

Of course there are descriptors/descriptions and then linguistic reality.
I've had many students from Asia who will tell me "I speak British
English", or "We were taught British English" and what comes from their
mouths is not remotely British English in terms of accent, prosody,
syntax, or lexis.  So, the term European English probably means nothing
from a descriptive point of view;  it's more of an idea, aspiration, who
knows what.

I have heard the term used in the context of Europe (at conferences), and
I highly doubt it exists even in Europe, even if it has been posited as
real.

Tom Ricento
Professor and Chair, English as an Additional language
University of Calgary