[lg policy] terminology question

Julia deBres juliadebres at YAHOO.COM
Thu May 6 06:42:57 UTC 2010

Thanks very much for taking the time to explain Anthea, that's super interesting - I will mull it over...

Julia

________________________________
From: Anthea Fraser Gupta <A.F.Gupta at leeds.ac.uk>
To: Language Policy List <lgpolicy-list at groups.sas.upenn.edu>
Sent: Thu, 6 May, 2010 4:09:18 AM
Subject: RE: [lg policy] terminology question

Many thanks to everyone who responded to my question. It does look as if using it in the sense that my correspond was (to mean a variety of Standard English other than American Standard English) is not unusual. My first meaning, like some other people's, was more or less what Jenkins calls ELF (English as a Lingual Franca, in the EU).

@Julia....

I do not regard there as being standard accents of English, and my concept of Standard English relates to grammar, lexis, and spelling. There is huge accent variation in English. The concept of a standard is considerably weaker in speech than in writing, not only because of accent variation, but also because the grammar of speech is distinct from the more conscious grammar of writing. Even so, the criterial features of Standard English (especially in the area of the verb) are the same in writing as in speech.

In NZ (as in USA, Singapore, UK, Ireland, India, etc.,) within Standard English (edited texts, printed, taught in schools, etc.)  there are a small number of words particularly associated with local institutions or just what Goerlach calls heteronyms ( different words for the same thing, such as flip-flops, slippers, jandals, thongs, chappals.....). There are also some spelling variants, many of which characterise the so-called US/British division (colo(u)r, theatre/er....). There are one or two strong verbs that show variation (dived/dove, got(ten)). These differences account for much less that 0.05% of the words of texts other those specifically written to highlight the differences. Core grammar (I have developed a criterially based analysis that tends has a focus on the structure and morphology of the verb) is shared. When you examine a large corpus, you find (given matched text types) statistically different preferences (for example, UK and
 Australian English are fonder !
than US English of the perfective): preferences cannot be used to define a dialect -- only categorical features can.  And the categorical differences that there are are too few to warrant the identification of a different dialect.

If we take your postings and mine -- what is there to mark my English as British and yours as New Zealand? Little if anything.

Notions of local standards were developed (including by me) as part of an attack on the hegemony of the UK and US, and played an important role in developing ownership. But I think we have gone past that stage now, and need to move on to concepts that see English as one language across the world. We also need to develop linguistic, rather than geo-historical criteria for distinguishing one variety of English from another.

If you want the longer argument, have a look on my website at some of my recent papers on this topic. What do you think?

Anthea

Anthea Fraser Gupta (Dr)
School of English, University of Leeds, LS2 9JT
<www.leeds.ac.uk/english/staff/afg<http://www.leeds.ac.uk/english/staff/afg>>