[lg policy] calls: 3rd Conference on Language Contact in Times of Globalization

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 1 14:50:35 UTC 2010

3rd Conference on Language Contact in Times of Globalization

Full Title: 3rd Conference on Language Contact in Times of Globalization
Short Title: LCTG3

Date: 30-Jun-2011 - 02-Jul-2011
Location: Greifswald, Germany
Contact Person: Amei Koll-Stobbe
Meeting Email: lctg3uni-greifswald.de

Linguistic Field(s): Sociolinguistics

Call Deadline: 15-Nov-2010

Meeting Description:

>>From 30 June to 02 July 2011, the Chair of English Linguistics in the
Institute of Foreign Languages of the University of Greifswald will host the
'Third Conference on Language Contact in Times of Globalization'
(LCTG3). The symposium will take place in the 555th anniversary year of
the university and will be organized in cooperation with the University of
Groningen, continuing the tradition which was started there with the two
forerunner conferences LCTG1 and LCTG2 in 2006 and 2009.

With our Call for Papers (deadline: 15 November 2010), we would like to
invite contributions - preferably oral presentations of 30 minutes in length
(including discussion) - from different philologies. The conference will focus
on language choice and contact scenarios in real-life settings, the media
and multilingual institutions.

Call for Papers

The old German Hanseatic and University Town of Greifswald will be a
suitable conference place for LCTG3, also in light of its history: In fact,
Greifswald was Swedish between 1631 and 1815. The city itself makes part
of a European contact zone, namely that of the Baltic Sea Area, which has
regained importance after the fall of the iron curtain.

With our Call for Papers, we would like to invite contributions - preferably
oral presentations of 30 minutes in length (including discussion) - from
different philologies. To facilitate interdisciplinary discussion, the
conference
language will be English. The conference will focus on language choice and
contact scenarios in real-life settings, the media and multilingual
institutions.
We propose the following thematic fields:

(1) Contact-induced change: from language mixing to mixed languages
(2) Scientific and public discourse on issues of language contact
(3) Language use, language politics and language conflicts in multilingual
settings
(4) The creative potential of language contact and multilingual speech

We also welcome contributions which make use of new theoretical
paradigms, e.g. 'Linguistic Landscapes' research or cognitive
sociolinguistics. Depending on the variety of papers proposed, we are
going to arrange different conference sections according to linguistic areas
or language families to bring together contributions with similar thematic or
theoretical orientations in the aforementioned fields.

Please send in your abstract (max. 500 words) via mail to
lctg3uni-greifswald.de by 15 November 2010, using the official abstract
form. We will notify you about the acceptance of your paper by 15 March
2011. Additionally, we are going to set up a conference website with further,
continuously updated information on important organizational matters by the
end of this year.

We are looking forward to meeting you in Greifswald!

Amei Koll-Stobbe (conference chair)
Sebastian Knospe (conference convenor)

http://linguistlist.org/issues/21/21-3826.html

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)