[lg policy] UK: Welsh Language in the Heartland

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 8 15:25:37 UTC 2010

Welsh Language in the Heartland
Dewi,
Thu 7 October 2010, 4:14pm
13

There is increasing evidence of the decline of the Welsh language as a
lingua franca of areas traditionally thought of as Welsh speaking,
coupled with a marked increase in the use of the language in more
Anglicised areas. It’s a fairly easy phenomena to understand – as the
% speakers fall below 75 to 70%  it is normal for the languages of
institutions such as the WI, Cricket Clubs, Young Farmers etc etc to
change their primary language.

A good sort of test these days is to have a look at some websites.
Because I’m interested, and the demographic is younger than average,
I’l choose some Rugby and Soccer clubs to have a look at.

Firstly from the area of Industrial Eastern Carmarthenshire where the
Westward drift of the language boundary continues, but still contains,
by percentage, some of the most Welsh speaking communities in the
World.
The Scarlets set a pretty good example with a website that seems
almost entirely bilingual.
It’s less encouraging in the smaller clubs as Cydweli monoglot
English, Y Tymbl not much better. Cwmllynfell slightly more content.
In North Pembrokeshire, another area under pressure, Crymych the best
of the small clubs so far.
Further West in Cardiganshire we have Cardigan itself which make an
effort, but the extremely disappointing Lampeter.
So some bad news in the South.
Moving North both Porthmadog Football and Bethesda RFC excellent
whilst the contrast between the Caernarfon Rugby Club and Soccer clubs
astonishing really.
Finally here’s Bethel FC which is the only one I can find to state a
language policy:
“Bethel is a small village outside Caernarfon, Gwynedd, in North
Wales. Our first language is Welsh and therefore our website is
bilingual.”
So a bit of a contrast between North and South but some bad and some
good news….Any good examples from Ireland?

http://sluggerotoole.com/2010/10/07/welsh-language-in-the-heartland/

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)