[lg policy] Movements on languages in Spain

David Pardo Cossío dpcossio at YAHOO.ES
Wed Sep 22 23:18:51 UTC 2010

Dear all,

Here I send you some recent articles on the catalan press. Sorry, none of the articles are in English but only in Spanish.

The first is about Occitan (Aranese) becoming the third official language of Catalonia at the same time that the first and only official status in all territories where Occitan is still spoken (To note some of the comments from readers in which we can read the Aran is not Catalonia)

http://www.lavanguardia.es/ciudadanos/noticias/20100922/54009102503/el-aranes-se-convierte-en-la-tercera-lengua-oficial-de-catalunya.html

The second article is about a Law that the Spanish goverment would be preparing to allow citizens to adress some services of the Central Goverment in any of the official languages, something new as Spanish is the only official language for the Central administration (however, a lot of administrative forms can be obtained in any of the languages).

http://www.lavanguardia.es/ciudadanos/noticias/20100922/54010155592/el-gobierno-prepara-una-ley-para-atender-al-ciudadano-en-su-propia-lengua.html

The third group of articles is about a recent decree of the Catalan goverment that imposes a Level C (near native, equivalent to the C1 of European Common Framework for languages) on catalan language to university teachers in Catalonia. The mesure seemed not to be very well received in the catalan universities.

http://www.lavanguardia.es/ciudadanos/noticias/20100830/53992454959/los-profesores-universitarios-tendran-que-saber-catalan-generalitat-universidades-josep-huguet-pompe.html

http://www.lavanguardia.es/ciudadanos/noticias/20100831/53992751731/el-profesor-sala-i-martin-dejara-la-pompeu-fabra-si-tiene-que-hacer-un-examen-de-catalan-universitat.html

http://www.lavanguardia.es/ciudadanos/noticias/20100902/53993813806/el-catalan-en-la-universidad-estatut-huguet-generalitat.html

http://www.lavanguardia.es/ciudadanos/noticias/20100901/53993773893/el-psc-desactiva-la-exigencia-del-nivel-c-a-profesores-universitarios-ciu-josep-huguet-congreso-hugu.html

http://www.lavanguardia.es/ciudadanos/noticias/20100914/54004021125/el-govern-flexibiliza-la-acreditacion-del-conocimiento-de-catalan-para-el-profesorado-universitario-.html

http://www.lavanguardia.es/ciudadanos/noticias/20100915/54004388058/montilla-defiende-que-el-catalan-no-disuade-la-atraccion-de-talento-a-las-universidades-universitat-.html

My last link is about a novelty on the Cervantes Institute webpage. Some time ago a space was created in it for the other co-official languages of the country. The link of all other institutions involved on protection and revitalizacion of these languages have been added, even if some of them (as Asturian or Aragonese) have no special laws for them and therefore are not co-official languages. To note as well in the list the problem existing about catalan/valencian language: all linguists will say there is only a catalan language but some people and politiciens say that valencian and catalan are different languages:

http://www.cervantes.es/lengua_y_ensenanza/enlaces_interes.htm

Best wishes,

David Pardo.

Diverses són les parles i diversos els homes,

i convindran molts noms a un sol amor

(La pell de brau, Salvador Espriu).