[lg policy] Canada: Ottawa Votes Blog: Kilrea says "non" to language policy

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 23 15:34:00 UTC 2010

Ottawa Votes Blog: Kilrea says "non" to language policy
Tuesday, Sep. 21, 2010

Bay Ward candidate Terry Kilrea has also been busy. He's on the
bilingualism warpath again. Here's his latest:

Kilrea says if elected:

I will table a motion asking for an immediate review and to have this
policy suspended IMMEDIATELY until clarification and interpretation is
crystal clear.

The way this policy is being interpreted is a recipe for Bankruptcy
and needless waste of Tens of $ Millions of Tax dollars or more. There
seems to be a sense of entitlement.

...It has gotten to the point that if a resident was burning or being
stabbed, they should be allowed to be rescued in their language of
choice.

City has an obligation to help everybody regardless of language.

...The interpretation of City of Ottawa Language Policy is a recipe
for divisiveness.

"Tens of millions of tax dollars or more?" Really? I've asked Kilrea
how he arrived at that figure, but I haven't heard back. I'll keep you
posted. In the mean time, here's the city's bilingualism policy:
http://ottawa.ca/city_hall/policies/bilingualism_policy/index_en.html

http://www.cbc.ca/ottawa/features/ottawavotes2010/2010/09/kilrea-says-non-to-city-language-policy.html

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)