[lg policy] UK linguistic hygiene: Kicked out for use of language

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 26 16:21:50 UTC 2010

Chatham Daily News

    * Careers
    * Classifieds

    * Obituaries
    * Autonet

    * E-Edition
    * Shopping

	SUBSCRIBER SERVICES 		Sunday, September 26, 2010

    * News
          o Local News
          o Opinion/Editorial
          o Canada/World
          o Queen's Park
          o Press Releases
          o Letters to the editor
          o Municipal Election 2010 -- Candidate list
    * Sports
          o Sports
          o OHL Corner
    * Business
          o Business
    * Arts/Life
          o Life
          o Lottery Numbers
          o Entertainment
          o Heritage
          o Faith
          o Travel
          o Road Conditions
          o School Bus Info
          o CK Tickets
          o Community of Chatham-Kent
          o Emergency Info
          o Kid Tips
          o Faces
    * Multimedia
          o Kids News Canada
          o CDN on Facebook
    * Features
          o Home Hunting Guide
          o Putting a Positive Spin on the News
          o Generations Edition
          o Communities in Bloom '09
          o Meet Your Merchant 2009
    * Video
          o Online Videos
    * Contact Us
          o Contact Publication
          o Feedback
          o Advertising
          o Editorial/Newsroom
          o Advertising mechanics
          o Internet advertising
          o Submit a Letter to the Editor
          o Single Copy Dealers
          o Web Advertising
          o Hotline Entries

	SUBMIT 		Join | Sign-In

    * Community
          o Local Happenings
    * Sports
          o Hockey
          o Baseball
          o Football
          o Soccer
          o Bowling
          o Miscellaneous
    * Churches
          o Religious Roundup
    * Non Profit
          o Volunteer groups
          o Activities
          o Non Profit
    * Entertainment
          o Theatre
          o Books & literature
          o Just for fun
    * Schools
          o Elementary
          o Secondary School

News

    * Local News
    * News
    * Kicked out for use of language

Kicked out for use of language
News
By ELLWOOD SHREVE, THE DAILY NEWS
Posted 1 day ago

Deborah Starks has found out the hard way the Bluewater Methadone
Clinic has no tolerance for any kind of abusive of behaviour. The
Chatham woman, who has been battling an addiction to the opiate
OxyContin since January, is devastated about being kicked out of the
local methadone program. She contacted The Chatham Daily News
Wednesday shortly after being dismissed from the program over concerns
the clinic has been too harsh in her case.

A tearful Starks said that because of a family emergency in London,
she was unable to make her appointment at the clinic last Friday to
get her methadone drink -- which helps reduce cravings and withdrawal
from an opiate addiction. However, she said she called the clinic five
times between 3-4 p.m. Friday to ensure a prescription for her drink
would be sent to the pharmacy for her to take later that night. When
Starks arrived at the pharmacy after 9 p.m., she learned the
prescription wasn't sent from the clinic. "I was very upset and
frustrated," she said, admitting she called the clinic and left an
angry voicemail that included using the 'F-word.'

While noting she didn't threaten anybody, Starks said, "I was in such
an irate state, I don't remember exactly what I said."
The pharmacy was able to get a hold of her doctor and the prescription
for her methadone was filled at 10:30 p.m. on Friday.
Starks said she called back to the clinic that night and left an
apologetic message as well as apologized in person when she went for
her appointment on Monday.

She was told to return on Wednesday and warned her action was deemed
to be violent and she could face dismissal from the program.

http://www.chathamdailynews.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2773052

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)