[lg policy] A request

Christina Paulston paulston at PITT.EDU
Sat Apr 9 19:03:37 UTC 2011

If by majority, you mean numbers and by minority subordinate groups in
a nation state, all the native languages of RSA under apartheid ( and
probably to a degree still) would be examples. ( If you are picky, you
can probably find tribal languages of less  than the 3 million
speakers -- rough estimate of Afrikaans speakers -- which would then
not qualify).  If by majority you mean superordinate but small in
numbers, the Afrikaners of same time is an example, the  Swedes in
Finland during joint kingdom days, etc.  With increasing number of
democratic countries,
and increasing clout through actual votes, the first example is
becoming less common.  We (sociology of language people ) don't see
very much in the literature of split power between groups, e.g. Quebec
which had Anglo economic power and Francophone  demographic, meaning
majority votes, power  but the present language policies are a result
of this split power.  The Francophone concern for Canadian minority
language rights has not extended to their indigenous population.
	If I have misinterpreted your question, you will have to define your
terms which I suggest you do anyway. It will make for less confusion.
But I am guilty of the same; I ( and sociolinguists in general) throw
the  concept of power around without much or any analysis of sources
and explication in general.  If anyone has a useful definition,
analysis of power, I would love a reference or two.  By useful I mean
as a concept that can do solid work on the language scene. Any poli
sci people out there?       Christina