[lg policy] A request

Christina Paulston paulston at PITT.EDU
Mon Apr 11 15:58:24 UTC 2011

Good example of choosing concepts depending on context. Minority/
majority ( from now m/m ) languages are concepts for dealing with
bilingualism, not DIGLOSSIA.  It will cause further confusion to
discuss Maghrebi as minority language -- that's a matter of High and
Low form of Arabic.
	French linguists use a group-conflict perspective in interpreting
Ferguson, much to his bewilderment ( see EARLY DAYS OF
SOCIOLINGUISTICS --Paulston and Tucker) which is waste of a good
concept because critical theory could handle that.
Christina