[lg policy] book notice: Language Policy for the Multilingual Classroom

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 29 14:31:20 UTC 2011

ISBN : 978-1-84769-368-6

Chapter Links

    Chapter 1 Ideologies and ...
    Chapter 2 Heteroglossia i...
    Chapter 3 Children’s Lite...
    Chapter 4 Multilingualism...
    Chapter 5 Teachers at the...
    Chapter 6 Negotiating Mul...
    Chapter 7 Exploring New P...
    Chapter 8 Linguistic Dive...
    Chapter 9 Three is Too Ma...
    Chapter 10 Integrated Bil...

Language Policy for the Multilingual Classroom

Chapter 1
Ideologies and Interactions in
Multilingual Education: What Can
an Ecological Approach Tell Us
about Bilingual Pedagogy?

A. CREESE and A. BLACKLEDGE

Introduction

This chapter uses the metaphor of language ecology to consider language
practices and ideologies in complementary schools. Complementary
schools are also known as supplementary, community language, mother
tongue language and heritage language schools. They are voluntary, outside
the state system, established and run by community members. There
is great diversity in provision. Our particular focus is on schools that
explicitly aim to teach a community language. The schools in our study
are held either at the weekend on Saturdays and Sundays or after school
during the week. They tend to meet for around 2–3 hours weekly and
more or less keep to the same term dates of mainstream schools. Since
2002, we have researched complementary schools to look at identity, learning
and linguistic repertoires of young people and teachers.1,2 The complementary
schools we researched were Bengali, Chinese, Gujarati and
Turkish in Birmingham, Manchester, Leicester and London, respectively.
The project aimed to explore the social, cultural and linguistic signifi cance
of complementary schools both within their communities and in wider
society, and to investigate how linguistic practices of students and teachers
in complementary schools are used to negotiate their multilingual and
multicultural identities.

http://www.bookstorediscovery.com/discovery/bookDisplayMain.do?id=9781847693686&flag=null&tokenId=d34783aae5965c1e3b3a3c93775667d81314627678479&button=freelink&searchTerm=&freelink=28&taStatus=&pub=mmatters

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)