[lg policy] Malaysia: Policy of Teching Sciences and Maths in English should be retained

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 1 14:23:15 UTC 2011

PPSMI should be retained

IT’S disappointing that the views of a significant, if not the
majority of Malaysian parents who want the continuation of the PPSMI
policy of teaching Maths and Science in the English, is not being
heard.

We ask how the Education Ministry can say in one breath that it wants
to increase the importance and teaching of the English Language and in
the next breath, insist on teaching vital subjects like Maths and
Science in Bahasa Malaysia?

The ministry should be consistent with the national vision to make
Malaysia a developed country by 2020.

We have to transform our people’s psyche to strengthen our national
language and at the same time, to pursue the competence in the
international language which is, whether we like it or not, the
English Language.

Where would our leaders and our country be today if not for our
current, albeit declining, proficiency in English?

How far would Malaysia have developed if not for the past wisdom of
promoting the teaching and use of English?

By rejecting the sound policy of PPSMI, we will be taking a regressive
step backwards!

We would jeopardise our aim to achieve the aspirations of Vision 2020.

Worse still, we will create class distinctions and widen the already
worsening income gap between the rural and urban populations and the
poor and the rich citizens of the country.

The Government is obliged to consult the voters more widely and
substantively on this very important national issue or risk national
progress and the people’s support.

We therefore appeal to the Education Minister to uphold the PPSMI and
to make the necessary announcement as soon as possible to avoid chaos
and more confusion.

TAN SRI RAMON NAVARATNAM,

Chairman,

Centre of Public Policy Studies.

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/11/1/focus/9809654&sec=focus

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)