[lg policy] dissertation: Lindley Murray (1745-1826), Quaker and Grammarian

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 30 15:03:55 UTC 2011

Lindley Murray (1745-1826), Quaker and Grammarian

Dissertation URL: http://hdl.handle.net/1887/17835

Linguistic Field(s): Historical Linguistics
Sociolinguistics

Subject Language(s): English (eng)

Dissertation Director(s):
Ingrid Tieken-Boon van Ostade

Dissertation Abstract:

The American-born Quaker Lindley Murray (1745-1826) arguably was the
most influential English language grammarian; undeniably he was the
best-selling one. Murray was the author of the English Grammar (1795),
and between 1795 and the middle of the nineteenth century millions of
copies were sold of this grammar alone, while several of his other
textbooks were no less popular. In my dissertation, I paint a
comprehensive portrait of this prolific writer, and I investigate how
Murray's Quakerism influenced his language use, by analysing a corpus
of 262 of his unpublished private letters. In addition, I compared his
own usage to the rules that he compiled for his English Grammar, to
see whether Murray practiced what he preached.

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)