[lg policy] Rejected postings to LGPOLICY-LIST at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at GMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 11 14:28:53 UTC 2012

All,

It was pointed out to me by our IT people that  "that the rejection message
is coming from listserv.linguistlist.org rather than from
groups.sas.upenn.edu.  In other words, people are
sending messages to LGPOLICY-LIST at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG, rather than
lgpolicy-list at groups.sas.upenn.edu.

So, it seems that some subscribers may be sending to the lgpolicy-list at
linguistlist.org, rather than the lgpolicy-list at groups.sas.upenn.edu. In
both cases, the name of the list is lgpolicy-list.  It would be easy to
confuse the two lists, especially if one's email program automatically
complete an address that you start typing.

If the problem seems to be something other than confusing the two lists,
you may want to contact the other list's list owner at
LGPOLICY-LIST-request@**LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG<LGPOLICY-LIST-request at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG>
"

So, this points to the fact that people need to look closely at the
addresses they are using
when either responding to messages from lgpolicy-list, or when sending new
messages.
In particular, it would also be good to NOT send personal messages to the
whole list,
when the intention is to send them to one person only, e.g. when forwarding
or responding.

Hope this helps!

Hal Schiffman

 Hi, Jay,