[lg policy] about american accents

Francis Hult francis.hult at UTSA.EDU
Wed Jan 11 20:01:47 UTC 2012

We refer to dialects in the States too.  Have you seen the documentary Do You Speak American (DYSA):
http://www.pbs.org/speak/ <http://www.pbs.org/speak/>

The DYSA website has some excellent resources, like this one:
http://www.pbs.org/speak/seatosea/americanvarieties/ <http://www.pbs.org/speak/seatosea/americanvarieties/>

With respect to accent, I find the Speech Accent Archive a useful teaching tool:
http://accent.gmu.edu/ <http://accent.gmu.edu/>

FMH

--
Francis M. Hult, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Bicultural-Bilingual Studies
University of Texas at San Antonio

Web: http://faculty.coehd.utsa.edu/fhult/ <http://faculty.coehd.utsa.edu/fhult/>

New Book in 2011: Educational Linguistics in Practice: Applying the Local Globally and the Global Locally
http://www.multilingual-matters.com/display.asp?isb=9781847693525 <https://ruby1604.utsa.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.multilingual-matters.com/display.asp?isb=9781847693525>

________________________________

From: lgpolicy-list-bounces+francis.hult=utsa.edu at groups.sas.upenn.edu on behalf of mostari hind
Sent: Wed 1/11/2012 1:02 PM
To: Language Policy List
Subject: [lg policy] about american accents

Hi dear members ,

When teaching sociolinguistics ,  I find that in UK,  the linguists speak about regional dialects ( cockney, welsh, etc) , but once it comes to USA , books  speak about differences in pronunciation not dialects .
 I confess I have been asked this question many times by my students and i could not give them a satisfying answer , so can you please clarify this point for me and for my students , books were not even helpful for me. I means why in USA we speak about accent differences and in UK abort dialect  differences, or may be it means the same thing  ?

All the best
Dr Mostari