[lg policy] Linguistic xenophobia

Elena Bashir ebashir at UCHICAGO.EDU
Tue Jan 17 16:55:50 UTC 2012

Dear Hal and list,

Yes, I've also observed many of the things Hal mentions about language
and gender.

- Speaking French has frequently been reported as being perceived as
effeminate.
- Interestingly, when Kerry or Romney is reported as speaking French,
it's portrayed (by some in the current context) as negative, but when
Jackie Kennedy was famous for speaking French, it was admirable.
- I've noticed that young women in urban Punjab in Pakistan are more
likely to switch to the higher-status language (Urdu) from their first
or local language (Panjabi) than are young men.

On 1/17/2012 10:30 AM, Harold Schiffman wrote:
> My take on this is that learning and speaking another language,
> especially speaking
> it fluently, is a woman's thing.  (It may be un-American, too, but
> I'll concentrate on the
> other.)  My evidence for this claim is that while using film and other
> media in a course
> on "Language and Popular Culture" it became obvious that when a character needs
> to speak a language, or even decipher hierglyphics, it's usually a woman who is
> depicted doing this.  Real men don't speak foreign languages, at least
> in America.
> The only exception to this that I saw was in the Indiana Jones films,
> where occasionally
> he comes out with a phrase in Mandarin, or Hindi, or whatever.  But
> even there, in
> one of the films where decipherment of some new world hieroglyphics is required,
> his MOTHER does the job.  Also in one of those mummy movies there's a "girl" who
> does the needful.
>
> See also TV:  in NCIS, currently, the Israeli-born Agent Ziva David
> "speaks 12 languages" including Pashto.
>
> As someone who spent 30 years of his academic life teaching Tamil, I
> often discerned
> that language teaching is also a feminized profession, so what was I
> doing teaching one?
> (What did that say about me?)
>
> One even hears of research that seems to show that "girls" do better
> in language classes,
> that females are more sensitive to language, do more code-switching
> from their native
> lects to "higher status" lects, and so on.  Bourdieu even indicated
> that French women
> who start out as lower-status speakers of French or other francophone
> lects (les idiomes,
> the same ones Gregoire railed against) switch to higher status lects,
> or even "standard"
> French in order to get better marriages, leaving the men of their
> communities behind,
> unable to find wives.
>
> I observed while living in France for two years that Americans I knew
> there would "dumb down" their French when speaking to French people,
> if Americans were present, but didn't do that so much when Americans
> were absent.  I asked one such person about this, and he said he
> needed to show he was a "real" American, not a "wanna-be French
> bootlicker".  Maybe if he'd been female, he wouldn't have done this...
>
> Hal Schiffman
>
> On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 4:34 AM, Dave Sayers<D.Sayers at swansea.ac.uk>  wrote:
>> I was searching for Ann's excellent "exotic or maybe even subversive" line
>> (below) in preparing this email, and I decided to reply to this old email
>> thread since it follows quite neatly. I've changed the original email
>> subject though, to a more generic one.
>>
>> Anyway... perhaps some US-based subscribers could comment on the recent
> [...]

E. Bashir, Ph.D., Senior Lecturer in Urdu
Department of South Asian Languages and Civilizations
The University of Chicago, Foster 212
1130 E. 59th St.
Chicago, IL 60637
Phone:  773-702-8632