[lg policy] Linguistic Hygiene: Attention: New Language Policy for Comments on the Opinionated Gamers

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jan 29 17:36:16 UTC 2012

Attention: New Language Policy for Comments on the Opinionated Gamers
Posted on January 28, 2012 by Dale Yu

We’ve been blessed over the past year to have a lot of great
conversations and reviews about board games on the Opinionated Gamers.
In our opinion, the use of profanity and vulgarity is not needed when
talking about board games.  There ar other ways to make a point than
resorting to such language.  Certainly, there is a time and a place
for such language, and we feel that this blog is not such a place.
This is a public forum which could be read by anyone – including
children – and we would like this site to remain appropriate for
everyone interested in reading about these games of ours.

Many of the contributors and readers of this blog read this site at
work or at home – places where language of this nature is simply not
appropriate.  Furthermore, continued use of this sort of language
could trigger many internet blocking services used by employers and
cause our blog to be blocked at work – we are already having enough
problems of this nature having the word “Gamers” as part of our URL!

Thus, the Opinionated Gamers will employ a simple filter to prevent
such language from being posted on our site.  We ask that anyone
wishing to participate in the conversations here keep their tone civil
and their words appropriate for all audiences.

Please respect this simple request. We certainly want everyone to be
able to contribute to the comments here (which is why we don’t require
you to have an account nor to log in to comment), but we do not want
to have to actively moderate the comments on the blog.  If you feel
that this restriction is too onerous, then we ask that you not post
here.  There are other sites on the Internet where such language is
felt appropriate, and we will respect your decision to post your
comments there instead of on this blog.

Hopefully this is the only time that this topic will need to come up
on the blog.  A similar message will be added to the “About Us” page
on the website as well.

And with that – let’s get back to talking about the games!

Respectfully yours,

The Opinionated Gamers

http://opinionatedgamers.com/2012/01/28/attention/

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)