[lg policy] Call for Papers on Ain't

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 15 15:03:46 UTC 2012

Call for Papers on Ain't

Updated CFP:
We've received some good chapter ideas, and we would like to receive
some more. The deadline is approaching, so if you have an idea,
please send it on (even if not fully fleshed out). We would particularly
like to see some more dialect studies for the US and Britain, but as
suggested below, the topics can go in all sorts of directions.

Original CFP:
We are looking for articles for a possible collection of essays on the
unassuming, yet much-assuming word ain't. We have had some good
feedback towards publication of such a book and would like to continue
rapidly into the next phase.

Studies could include pieces in the areas of corpus linguistics, historical
overviews, literary analyses, folk linguistics, dialect or regional usages,
popular culture, and language attitudes. Any angle on the word is of
interest to us. Possible topics include but are not limited to the
following:

- Arguments for and against the acceptability of ain't in spoken and/or
written usage;
- Attitudes towards ain't in academic literature, the works of language
pundits, the popular press, literary works, style and usage guides, and
classroom textbooks;
- The use of ain't in the works of specific authors, periods, and
regions;
- Ain't in fixed expressions and clichés;
- Ain't in popular media like cartoons, music, television, online, social
media, etc;
- Ain't as a marker of social class, culture, or group identity;
- Ain't as it is used within a region or across regions (larger or smaller
geographical areas in North America, the UK, Australia, etc);
- The status of ain't in a particular form of English, whether Standard
American English, Black English Vernaculars, British English (Received
Pronunciation), as well as in any of the World Englishes;
- Ain't in the usage of non-native speakers of English or as discussed
in L2 acquisition;
- Studies based on specific written or spoken corpuses of English.

Articles could be long or short, depending on the topic. Most final
essays will be between 6500 and 8000 words, including citations;
however, we recognize that topics could be quite large or quite small,
depending on the focus. Therefore, there will be latitude for items that
are akin to ''notes,'' in addition to articles that may be a bit longer than
8000 words.

Please send proposals or completed papers accompanied by abstracts
via email attachment to BOTH editors (MSWord or RTF) by July 1,
2012. Please include a separate, current curriculum vitae and your full
contact information including your office and summer phone numbers
and preferred e-mail address.

For more information, feel free to contact us by phone or email.

Patricia Donaher, Ph.D.
Area Chair, PCA Language Attitudes and Popular Linguistics
Assoc. Professor of English and Graduate Faculty
Department of English
Missouri Western State University
4525 Downs Drive
St. Joseph, MO 64507
816-271-5964
donahermissouriwestern.edu

Seth Katz, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of English and in the Graduate School
Department of English
Bradley University
1501 W. Bradley Avenue
Peoria, IL 61625
309-677-2479
sethbumail.bradley.edu

http://linguistlist.org/issues/23/23-2730.html

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)