[lg policy] Ukraine will not have two official languages

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jun 25 14:43:03 UTC 2012

Ukraine will not have two official languages

The Party of Regions will not lobby introduction of two official
languages in Ukraine, Deputy Prime Minister, Minister of Social Policy
Serhiy Tihipko said in Sevastopol.

"We will not seek introduction of two national languages, because this
would lead to unnecessary talk. Let us first pass the law /on the
fundamentals of state language policy - Ed./ and then see whether such
amendments to the Constitution are necessary," Tihipko said. He
expressed the opinion that the bill on state language policy will help
develop all languages of the peoples living in Ukraine. "We should do
so that everybody would feel comfortable. I believe that there must be
no isolation in connection with the language issue, because any
self-isolation is a loss of economic growth, a loss of economy," the
Deputy Prime Minister said. According to him, the government is to
make sure that all the people living in Ukraine and speaking different
languages could develop their culture and feel comfortable in their
own country.

http://www.nrcu.gov.ua/index.php?id=148&listid=173774

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)