[lg policy] E-MELD project: Helping aid in preserving and documenting endangered language data

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Sat Mar 3 16:17:48 UTC 2012

Helping aid in preserving and documenting endangered language data

The E-MELD project (http://emeld.org/index.cfm), begun in 2001, was an
NSF-funded five-year project designed to aid in the preservation of
endangered languages data and documentation. The project is also
intended to support the development of the necessary infrastructure
for effective collaboration among electronic archives. The E-MELD
Maintenance Team (EMT), founded in 2007, is a continuation of the
E-MELD project, dedicated to keeping the site up-to-date with the most
current resources for field linguists.

The pages on the E-MELD site provide useful information and tips on
how to document and store language data. We are particularly proud of
The School of Best Practices. Here, users can visit the "classroom"
(http://emeld.org/school/classroom/index.html) and find lessons and
tutorials on how to create archival and presentation formats for
various media types; better understand the concepts behind, and the
recommendations of best practices for various documentation types;
encode, store and render best practice data using assorted
technologies; and make data available to more researchers in enduring
formats using techniques for preservation. There is even
Ask-an-Expert, where users can ask our E-MELD panel members about
creating and preserving digital language documentation.

Our goal is to make E-MELD a useful resource for a wide range of
users, from students who are in the early stages of their research
career to professional field linguists. To keep the E-MELD site live
and up-to-date, we need a maintenance team.

For this, we need your donations!
http://linguistlist.org/donation/donate/donate1.cfm

If you feel that E-MELD is important to you and the linguistic
community at large, please contribute to our 2010 Fund Drive and
support its maintenance. Donations received during our fund drive are
used to support the graduate student assistants at LINGUIST List,
including those who work on E-MELD maintenance. Your donation will
help us keep the LINGUIST List site running, bringing the latest
information to the linguistic community.

We appreciate your generosity.

Best Regards,

The LINGUIST Crew

http://linguistlist.org/issues/23/23-1066.html

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)