[lg policy] Northern Ireland: Publication of Irish language survey welcomed

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Tue May 15 14:58:10 UTC 2012

Publication of Irish language survey welcomed

Published on Monday 14 May 2012 10:04

Ballymoney Sinn Féin Councillor Cathal McLaughlin has welcomed the
publication of a new survey on attitudes towards the Irish language.

The survey was carried out by the Department of Culture Arts and
Leisure, with respondents from across the north. It will help
formulate Irish Language policy within the department.

The survey found that people felt there should be more opportunities
for people to learn Irish in the North. Additionally 81% of
respondents believed pupils should be able to choose it as a school
subject if they wish. 52% believed that it is important the North does
not lose its Irish language traditions, while 49% believed it to be
important to the region’s culture. 41% believed the language should be
supported and encouraged throughout the North.

Finally over half of all respondents thought that Irish should be
offered as an option on documents, leaflets and notices where other
languages are offered.

Welcoming the findings of the survey Cloughmills Sinn Féin councillor
Cathal McLaughlin said:

“I welcome the findings of this survey. It demonstrates the huge
support there is for the Irish Language across the north. The language
movement here in the north is hugely energetic and enthusiastic. Over
the past decade there has been a significant growth in the numbers of
people learning, speaking and developing the Irish Language. The huge
network of Naíscoileanna, bunscoileanna and gaelscoileanna across the
north in recent years are just one small measure of this.

“As a political party, we have also tried to facilitate the demand
locally to learn the language by employing an Irish Language
Development officer who oversees the expansion of ‘ranganna’ or
classes throughout the district.

“Additionally we provide bursaries to the large number of people who
go to Gaeltacht areas to improve on their conversational Irish
throughout the year. Locally we have witnessed such need and demand,
as was outlined in the survey.”

Cllr McLaughlin concluded by saying:

“In welcoming this report I would also call on local people to get
involved with the development of the Irish Language by joining the
various classes throughout the district and play your part in
developing our ‘teanga duchais’ or native language.

http://www.ballymoneytimes.co.uk/news/local/publication-of-irish-language-survey-welcomed-1-3838693

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)