[lg policy] Cartoons again

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at GMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 12 20:46:21 UTC 2012

All:

I have had exactly three responses to my query to the list as to whether
the cartoons page is something people are interested in i.e. as they
pertain to language policy.  All three have been positive, but that's not
exactly an overwhelming vote of confidence.

Be that as it may, I decided to link a page to the cartoons page from my
website for a course on "Language and Popular Culture" that I taught before
retiring.  In that course I encouraged students to look at how language is
portrayed/used/manipulated in popular culture, such as cartoons, and one
sample I gave them was from a comic strip called "Pearls before Swine"
that, among other things, depicts Crocs (crocodiles) as speaking some kind
of non-standard dialect of English.  I encouraged my students to look at
similar depictions in order to understand how this kind of "popular
culture" represented ideas about language.  Since the course was a writing
course, they had to write a research paper on this or a similar topic.

Anyway since the response to my query about the value of cartoons was so
overwhelmingly positive (!) I decided to also share with you my thoughts
about the crocs.

In case you're wondering, the URL for the cartoons page is
http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/plc/clpp/images/cartoons/cartoons.html

Enjoy!

HS

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com