[lg policy] INSEAD Business School Language Policy

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 15 15:55:31 UTC 2012

 Language Policy

What is the language of instruction?

Why does INSEAD have a language policy?

Do I need to speak French?

How do I provide proof of fluency in English?

English is not my native language, but I have lived and worked in an
English speaking country for many years. Do I still need to provide
additional proof of fluency in English?

How many languages must I speak in addition to English in order to be admitted?

English is my native language. When and how do I certify my entry/2nd language?

What is meant by exit language and how do I provide proof if it?

Are there any restrictions on the choice of entry and exit languages?

What does 'fluent', 'practical' and 'basic' knowledge mean, exactly?

What is the language of instruction?

English is the language of instruction at INSEAD. You need to be
fluent in English to apply to the programme. See our Language Policy
for more details.

Back to top

Why does INSEAD have a language policy?

At INSEAD, we believe strongly in the importance of an international
outlook. The ability to communicate in more than one language will
give you a competitive advantage in the global marketplace and enable
you to work effectively across multiple cultures. Check our Language
Policy for more details.

Back to top

Do I need to speak French?

No. English is the language of instruction on both campuses.

Back to top

How do I provide proof of fluency in English?

If English is not your native language, you can demonstrate fluency
either by a university degree or taking an English language test. If
you possess a full university degree (undergraduate or postgraduate)
where all courses were taught exclusively in English, we will accept
your degree as proof of your fluency in English. Your transcripts
should clearly indicate that the entire curriculum was solely taught
in English. Otherwise, you may take one of the following English
language tests (required minimum score in brackets): TOEFL (iTOEFL:
105, Computer-Based: 260, Paper-Based: 620; IELTS: 7.5; CPE: B and PTE
Academic: 72, TOEIC Listening and Reading: 950; TOEIC Writing: 170;
TOEIC Speaking: 190. For TOEIC and IELTS, you need to submit score
results for all parts: Listening, Reading, Speaking, and Writing. More
details can be found in our Language Policy.

Back to top

English is not my native language, but I have lived and worked in an
English speaking country for many years. Do I still need to provide
additional proof of fluency in English?

Yes. Living and working in an English-speaking environment is not
accepted as proof of fluency in English. If you possess a full
university degree (undergraduate or postgraduate) where all courses
were taught exclusively in English, we will accept your degree as
proof of your fluency in English.  Your transcripts should clearly
indicate that the curriculum was entirely taught in English.
Otherwise, you may take one of the following English language tests
(the required minimum score is in brackets): TOEFL (iTOEFL: 105,
Computer-Based: 260, Paper-Based: 620; IELTS: 7.5; CPE: B and PTE
Academic: 72, TOEIC Listening and Reading: 950; TOEIC Writing: 170;
TOEIC Speaking: 190. For TOEIC and IELTS, you need to submit score
results for all parts: Listening, Reading, Speaking, and Writing. More
details can be found in our Language Policy.

Back to top

How many languages must I speak in addition to English in order to be admitted?

If English is your native language, you have to demonstrate at least a
practical knowledge of a second language (referred to as 'entry'
language) before the start of the programme by passing one of our
accepted language tests for your chosen second language. If you are a
non-native English speaker, your native language will fulfil this
requirement (no test required).

Back to top

English is my native language. When and how do I certify my entry/2nd language?

If you are joining the programme in September, you will need to
provide certification of your second language no later than 1 June. If
you are joining the programme in January, you will need to provide
certification of your second language no later than 1 November.
Accepted certifications are listed in the Language Policy.

Back to top

What is meant by exit language and how do I provide proof of it?

In addition to the two entry languages, all students will need to
demonstrate at least basic knowledge of a third language (referred to
as 'exit language') in order to graduate. If you already possess basic
knowledge of a third language, we recommend you certify your exit
language either before the start of the programme or during
Orientation Week. If you need to learn a third language, you can do so
during the programme and pass the language test before graduation.
Language instruction is available on both campuses.

Back to top

Are there any restrictions on the choice of entry and exit languages?

Yes. Both entry and exit languages must be officially recognised by
the government of a country. Entry and exit languages must also be
sufficiently different from each other. More details are available in
the Language Policy.

Back to top

What does 'fluent', 'practical' and 'basic' knowledge mean, exactly?

'Fluent' knowledge is defined as the ability to communicate precisely
and effectively in complex situations.

'Practical' knowledge is defined as the ability to communicate about
familiar matters regularly encountered at work, school, and in leisure
activities.

'Basic' knowledge is defined as the ability to communicate in a direct
exchange of information in the simple present, future and past tenses.

http://mba.insead.edu/faq/LanguagePolicy.cfm

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)