[lg policy] Linguist List Issue: Speaking While Black (or Brown): Language and Race in the US

Fri Nov 30 15:46:18 UTC 2012

hfs thought you might be interested in this item from the LINGUIST List
hfs says ...

Message1: Speaking While Black (or Brown): Language and Race in the US
Date:29-Nov-2012
From:Sonja Lanehart sonja.lanehart at utsa.edu
LINGUIST List issue http://linguistlist.org/issues/23/23-4979.html

Full Title: Speaking While Black (or Brown): Language and Race in the US

Date: 11-Apr-2013 - 11-Apr-2013
Location: San Antonio, TX, USA
Contact Person: Joycelyn Moody
Meeting Email: utsaafamsymp at gmail.com

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis; Sociolinguistics

Subject Language(s): English (eng)

Call Deadline: 10-Dec-2012

Meeting Description:

Each spring since 2008, the University of Texas at San Antonio has hosted a daylong symposium on African American Studies. Our events have explored Black femininities and masculinities, the first 100 days of the Obama Presidency, Black identity across academic disciplines, and other topics.

On April 11, 2013, we will continue our annual tradition of offering an outstanding program centered on analyzing African American experiences.

Call for Papers:

The 2013 symposium encourages papers on a wide range of topics including Barack Obama's 2008 'A More Perfect Union' address (the race speech); traditional black racial identities; code-switching; racial discourse and rhetoric in politics, media, education, history, society, etc.; and other pertinent issues raised by Critical Race Theorists.

Submission Requirements:

- Up to 500 words, single-spaced Word document written in English
- Times New Roman, 12 font, paper title, author's name, rank,
- Academic/work affiliation, postal address, email address, phone contact
- Email abstracts or inquiries to Dr. Joycelyn Moody at utsaafamsymp at gmail.com.

Abstracts for organized panels, workshops, and performances are welcome. N.B.: All accepted presenters must be in attendance for the entire day of the symposium and the evening reception in their honor.

Each single or multi-author presentation, workshop, and performance receives $300.

Accepted panels announced by January 23, 2013.

Also you can take a look at it by visiting
http://linguistlist.org/issues/23/23-4979.html

Read other LINGUIST List posts:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/index.cfm

Get your own free subscription to The LINGUIST List:
http://linguistlist.org/LL/subs-index.cfm