[lg policy] Linguist List Issue: I-mean 3 Identity and Language Conference

Mon Apr 1 15:18:25 UTC 2013

hfs thought you might be interested in this item from the LINGUIST List
hfs says ...

Message1: I-mean 3 Identity and Language Conference
Date:29-Mar-2013
From:Jo Angouri Jo.Angouri at uwe.ac.uk
LINGUIST List issue http://linguistlist.org/issues/24/24-1462.html

I-mean 3 Identity and Language Conference
Short Title: I-mean 3

Date: 18-Apr-2013 - 20-Apr-2013
Location: Bristol, United Kingdom
Contact: Jo Angouri
Contact Email: Jo.Angouri at uwe.ac.uk
Meeting URL: http://www1.uwe.ac.uk/cahe/research/bristolcentreforlinguistics/i-mean/conferencedetails.aspx

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics; Discourse Analysis; General Linguistics; Pragmatics; Sociolinguistics

Meeting Description:

I-mean 3, Identity and Language Conference, UWE, Bristol 18-20 April 2013
Conference website: http://www1.uwe.ac.uk/cahe/research/bristolcentreforlinguistics/i-mean/conferencedetails.aspx

The third I-mean conference will address the relationship between language and identity.

Following the I-mean tradition, we seek to explore ways in which researchers can fruitfully work across methodological and disciplinary boundaries. We also welcome scholars from other disciplines who have an interest in the links between language and identity.

The conference aims to explore whether and to what extent bringing together different methodological and theoretical approaches can:

- Enhance understanding of identity attribution in interaction
- Lead to theoretically robust methodological innovation

Exploring how speakers use language to claim an identity has been explored but also challenged in the various traditions (ranging from mainstream sociolinguistic theory to linguistic anthropology). In the broadly defined field of sociolinguistics there are many conceptualisations of 'identity'. Through language we actively construct and negotiate our self and social identities. It is through language that we index, directly and indirectly, who we are/how we wish to be perceived and where we (want to) belong. We see identity as (not exclusively but to a large extent) a linguistic phenomenon, dynamic and constantly evolving.

Plenary Speakers:

Dawn Archer
Nik Coupland
Lorenza Mondada
Ben Rampton
Ruth Wodak

Round table: Stances, methodologies and methods for the analysis of identity in interaction
The arrangements for the forthcoming i-mean 3 conference are now in the final stages.  We are delighted that over 220 delegates have registered their attendance and we look forward to seeing you all at UWE, Bristol very soon.  A preliminary draft of the programme can be found on the i-mean web pages:

http://www1.uwe.ac.uk/cahe/research/bristolcentreforlinguistics/i-mean/conferencedetails.aspx

In the meantime, this is a final call for registering for the conference as the deadline is Tuesday 2nd April (please see link below).  Please do let us know of any problems (the conference's contact email is: imean at uwe.ac.uk ).

http://store.uwe.ac.uk/browse/product.asp?catid=1139&modid=1&compid=1

Also you can take a look at it by visiting
http://linguistlist.org/issues/24/24-1462.html

Read other LINGUIST List posts:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/index.cfm

Get your own free subscription to The LINGUIST List:
http://linguistlist.org/LL/subs-index.cfm