[lg policy] Linguist List Issue: Language Diversity and Prehistory

Thu Apr 11 14:56:17 UTC 2013

hfs thought you might be interested in this item from the LINGUIST List
hfs says ...

Message1: Language Diversity and Prehistory
Date:10-Apr-2013
From:Søren Wichmann wichmann at eva.mpg.de
LINGUIST List issue http://linguistlist.org/issues/24/24-1626.html

Full Title: Language Diversity and Prehistory

Date: 19-Aug-2013 - 19-Aug-2013
Location: Leipzig, Germany
Contact Person: S�ren Wichmann
Meeting Email: wichmann at eva.mpg.de
Web Site: http://www.eva.mpg.de/lingua/conference/2013_language_diversity_and_prehistory/index.html

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics; Genetic Classification; Historical Linguistics

Call Deadline: 01-May-2013

Meeting Description:

The purpose of this workshop is to discuss how the use of linguistic data may shed light on prehistory and to continue a still relatively new dialogue with genetics and archaeology. A central concern is to avoid fitting findings from one discipline to that of another and then concluding, circularly, that a given scenario is supported by two different disciplines. Instead, we need to evaluate evidence 'from inside' each discipline, and when we try to compare results we should not only look out for matching results but also expect and try to understand discrepancies. The invited speakers not only include interdisciplinarily oriented linguists (Donohue, Nichols), but also an archaeologist (Geurds) and a geneticist (Barbieri).

The workshop is organized under the auspices of the ERC project 'The Linguistic Past of Mesoamerica and the Andes: A Search for Early Migratory Relations between North and South America', and some of the invited talks will address the prehistory of the Americas. Nevertheless, discussions do not have to focus on this particular geographical area.

Call for Papers:

We welcome submissions of abstracts (around 1/2 page, single-spaced, 12 pt) on the general topic of the workshop.

Deadline for submission of abstracts: May 1, 2013
Notification of acceptance abstracts: May 15, 2013

Also you can take a look at it by visiting
http://linguistlist.org/issues/24/24-1626.html

Read other LINGUIST List posts:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/index.cfm

Get your own free subscription to The LINGUIST List:
http://linguistlist.org/LL/subs-index.cfm