[lg policy] Linguistics-related comics from xkcd

Dave Sayers D.Sayers at SWANSEA.AC.UK
Sun Aug 25 19:53:55 UTC 2013

Friends, colleagues, peers, assorted strangers...

What did you do with your weekend? I see, I see... Well, personally, I spent my
weekend re-reading every strip of my favourite webcomic, xkcd.com, and picking out
all the ones that relate to linguistics! And so I present to you the list I have
amassed, for your delectation, and possible integration into lectures:

http://xkcd.com/37/ (syntax!)

http://xkcd.com/84/ (national language ideology, US specifically)

http://xkcd.com/114/ (with apologies to computational linguists!)

http://xkcd.com/145/ (standard language ideologies)

http://xkcd.com/148/ (ditto)

http://xkcd.com/166/ (language change)

http://xkcd.com/174/ (grammar)

http://xkcd.com/243/ (sociolinguistic interviews / formality)

http://xkcd.com/326/ (grammar / standard language ideologies)

http://xkcd.com/451/ (linguistics generally, but especially useful for me in Finland!)

http://xkcd.com/529/ (language acquisition)

http://xkcd.com/739/ (linguistic innovations?)

http://xkcd.com/762/ (rhetoric)

http://xkcd.com/771/ (language change / historical linguistics)

http://xkcd.com/798/ (corpus linguistics, NSFW)

http://xkcd.com/1007/ (corpus linguistics, SFW)

http://xkcd.com/1010/ (etymology)

http://xkcd.com/1108/ (semantics / language change / standard language ideologies --
particularly topical given the recent silly-season broohaha over 'literally', e.g.
http://goo.gl/zi1O9y)

Also note: every xkcd strip comes with an extra caption which appears when you hover
the mouse over it. That doesn't really copy into Powerpoint so well, but they work
just fine without.

xkcd.com has a new strip every Monday, Wednesday and Friday; they're generally very
good regardless of relevance to linguistics, but sometimes there's some excellent
lecture material. I'd strongly recommend adding it to your information diet.

Ok that's everything. You. Are. Welcome. ^_^

Dave

--
Dr. Dave Sayers
Honorary Research Fellow, Arts & Humanities, Swansea University, UK
dave.sayers at cantab.net
http://swansea.academia.edu/DaveSayers