[lg policy] Linguist List Issue: Conference on Language Revitalization: Sleeping and Awakened Languages of the Gulf South

Fri Dec 20 17:11:48 UTC 2013

hfs thought you might be interested in this item from the LINGUIST List
hfs says ...

Message1: Conference on Language Revitalization: Sleeping and Awakened Languages of the Gulf South
Date:18-Dec-2013
From:Zachary Hebert zhebert at uchicago.edu
LINGUIST List issue http://linguistlist.org/issues/24/24-5336.html

Full Title: Conference on Language Revitalization: Sleeping and Awakened Languages of the Gulf South

Date: 07-Mar-2014 - 09-Mar-2014
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
Contact Person: Joyce Bennett
Meeting Email: jbennet at tulane.edu

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics; Applied Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Language Documentation; Lexicography; Writing Systems

Call Deadline: 31-Jan-2014

Meeting Description:

Conference on Language Revitalization: Sleeping and Awakened Languages of the Gulf South
Tulane University, New Orleans, LA, March 7-9, 2014

It is our pleasure to formally invite you to attend the Conference on Language Revitalization: Sleeping and Awakened Languages of the Gulf South, sponsored by the New Orleans Center for the Gulf South and the Tulane Linguistics Program. The conference will be held March 7-9, 2014 at Tulane University in New Orleans. We anticipate a vibrant community of linguists, pedagogues,materials developers, and leaders.

The conference will include plenary speakers and panels on linguistic analyses, methodologies and materials for teaching and studying, and integration of technological tools. Our aim is to incorporate cultural and linguistic studies to produce tools that can be implemented by people for their own culture and language in order to strengthen their languages at any point in the revitalization process. We hope to provide a forum for an exchange of ideas and practices, materials,  revitalization techniques, and networking opportunities.

Attendees will need to fund their travel and lodging. A light breakfast and a lunch on March 8 as well as a light breakfast on March 9 will be provided at the conference.

To register or for any questions, please email: tunicalanguageproject at gmail.com

Unfortunately, Tulane is not in session December 15, 2013 through January 10, 2014. Queries made in the interim will be answered as soon as possible in the new academic year.

Call for Papers:

Conference on Language Revitalization: Sleeping and Awakened Languages of the Gulf South
Tulane University, New Orleans, LA, March 7-9, 2014

Submission Deadline: January 31, 2014
Notification of acceptance: By February 17, 2014
Conference dates: March 7-9, 2014

A language dies every two weeks. In Louisiana, two of the original ten indigenous languages are still spoken in daily communication, but all these founder populations feel a vital connection to their linguistic and cultural roots; many have active language revitalization programs either in place or on the drawing board. This conference, sponsored by the New Orleans Center for the Gulf South and the Tulane Linguistics Program, aims to build a community where indigenous tribe members, linguists, pedagogues, and materials developers can come together and share experiences, methodologies, linguistic analyses, and cultural knowledge. Our goal is to share successes and failures in order to create and improve available resources for strengthening indigenous languages.

We welcome abstracts on topics related to our panels:

- Methodology for teaching and studying indigenous language
- Archival materials use
- Practical orthographies
- Analytic software
- Interactive media for language promotion
- Technology in documentation: Methods and pitfalls
- Teaching materials
- Linguistic analyses of Gulf Coast languages
- Language revitalization: Linguistic, ethnographic, and practical studies

This is not an exhaustive list and individual papers and/or colloquia on topics outside these remits are warmly welcomed.

Abstract Submission:

Abstracts should be submitted in English, but presentations can be in any language. We particularly welcome presentations in languages of the region. Authors may submit no more than one individual and one joint proposal.

Abstracts are due by January 31, 2014 with notification of acceptance by February 17, 2014

We ask for Abstracts of 400 words and a 50 word summary for inclusion in the conference program. All abstracts will be submitted to blind peer review.

Submit your proposal by email: tunicalanguageproject at gmail.com.

Papers will be allowed 15 minutes plus 5 minutes of question time.

Also you can take a look at it by visiting
http://linguistlist.org/issues/24/24-5336.html

Read other LINGUIST List posts:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/index.cfm

Get your own free subscription to The LINGUIST List:
http://linguistlist.org/LL/subs-index.cfm