[lg policy] Link Economic and Language Policy to rebuild Sustainable Welsh Communities

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 15 22:25:59 UTC 2013

Link Economic and Language Policy to rebuild Sustainable Welsh Communities

10/01/2013
Party of Wales call for inclusive approach to protect Welsh communities

“Language regeneration and plans to regenerate the Welsh economy must
be linked”. That was the message of the leader of Plaid Cymru Leanne
Wood in the Assembly yesterday (Wednesday 9th) as she outlined her
party’s response to the disappointing census results which showed that
the number of Welsh speakers in Wales has dropped substantially in a
decade, from 582,000 in 2001 to 562,000 in 2011.

The party outlined why a Plaid Cymru government would link economic
development with language policy to revive sustainable Welsh and
Welsh-speaking communities.

The Party of Wales leader Leanne Wood said:

“We want to make sure that all of Wales’ communities can have a future
and we need a comprehensive plan to ensure their viability. That plan
must include protection measures for the language in those communities
where most people use Welsh.

“The census results were disheartening on many fronts and for that
reason the Party of Wales has drawn up a plan to focus our minds on
halting that decline. The party is as committed to saving and offering
a future for the Welsh language today as it was when it was first
established, and we are proud of the good work that we have achieved
both in and out of government to protect this important aspect of
Welsh life. Good work by Plaid Cymru, by individuals, and by other
organisations has ensured that despite all odds, the Welsh language is
still here in 2013.

“The Welsh language is precious, yet in grave danger. It’s no use
mourning this unique aspect of Wales once it is gone. It is up to all
of us – Welsh speakers and those of us who are not fortunate enough to
be fully bilingual to make sure that the Welsh langugae lives.”

http://www.english.plaidcymru.org/news/2013/01/10/link-economic-and-language-policy-to-rebuild-sustainable-welsh-communities/

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)