[lg policy] Volkswagen Superbowl ad and Jamaican accent

Kate Brett kbrett at CAMBRIDGE.ORG
Wed Jan 30 16:57:44 UTC 2013

Has anybody else noticed that quite a lot of young 20-something White
British men seem to be adopting Jamaican accents and mannerisms, even in
cities (like Cambridge) where there is not a large Caribbean community? My
son and his (white) friends are all, like, 'Yah, Man' amongst themselves,
and listen to a lot of reggae, scat etc. etc. This is because they enjoy
and admire it. VW's marketing people are onto something, I'd say. I've not
seen the ad, but my guess is that they are trying to show an uber-cool
white dude, admired by his peers, and his coolness shows in his adopted
accent...

I wonder whether ads in Jamaica showing cool black guys portray them with
a Florida accent? I wish I'd looked out for it on my recent visit (we were
complimented on understanding the patois - thanks maybe to hours of
hearing our son's music?!). There was certainly a huge amount of US TV
advertising on air there.

Kate Brett