[lg policy] Ireland: Why do we have such a problem with modern languages?

Francis Hult francis.hult at ENGLUND.LU.SE
Sun Nov 3 09:45:38 UTC 2013

Irish Times

Why do we have such a problem with modern languages?

Ireland is well behind other nations when it comes to languages, and we have no official language policy, beyond Irish, around which a movement for progress could coalesce. Modern languages are not compulsory at any stage of Irish schooling. Last year’s budget saw the abolition of the Modern Languages in Primary Schools Initiative (MLPSI); our first foray into early-language learning never made it past the pilot stage. Hence the One Voice for Languages movement.

Full story:
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/speaking-with-one-voice-on-languages-1.1573725