[lg policy] New Zealand: Auckland Transport wins Maori Language award

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 19 15:22:10 UTC 2013

Auckland Transport wins Maori Language award
Home <http://www.voxy.co.nz/> › National <http://www.voxy.co.nz/national>
  Contributor:
Fuseworks Media <http://www.voxy.co.nz/users/fuseworks-media>
Tuesday, 19 November, 2013 - 16:47

Auckland Transport has for the second year in a row won, Te Wiki o Te Reo
Maori, the Maori Language Week Award from the Maori Language Commission, Te
Taura Whiri i te Reo Maori.

This year’s Maori Language Week activities focussed on the Commission's
theme of Maori names.

Auckland Transport’s Maori Policy and Engagement Manager, Tipa Compain,
says it is an honour for Auckland Transport to again win this important
award.

"As we're primarily involved in getting people from place to place, it made
sense for us to use posters and screens on our public transport network to
educate the public about the correct pronunciation of Maori place names. We
also showed our customers the Maori alternatives to English names, as they
were travelling through those places".

This year Auckland Transport also took the Maori language message in-house.
"We had bilingual signage and pronunciation guides at all our office
locations so staff could try out their Reo when using everyday office and
kitchen items.

"We have won the award twice, the challenge is to come back in 2014 and win
again" says Mr Compain.

Auckland Transport also co-hosted the launch of Maori Language Week with
the Maori Language Commission at Britomart.
http://www.voxy.co.nz/national/auckland-transport-wins-maori-language-award/5/174425