[lg policy] Linguist List Issue: Attitudes toward Varieties of Spoken English

Sat Nov 30 16:02:54 UTC 2013

hfs thought you might be interested in this item from the LINGUIST List
hfs says ...

Message1: Attitudes toward Varieties of Spoken English
Date:28-Nov-2013
From:James Essex essexj at aston.ac.uk
LINGUIST List issue http://linguistlist.org/issues/24/24-4839.html

Attitudes toward Varieties of Spoken English: A Global Perspective

Seeking abstracts in the first instance of no more than approximately 1000 words for an edited volume with the tentative title ''Attitudes to Varieties of English: a Global Perspective''.

Selected abstracts will form part of the proposal to be sent to a prominent linguistics publisher. Research looking at attitudes to varieties of spoken English in a range of contexts are most welcome.

Proposals from people in the fields of Applied Linguistics and ELT are most welcome.

I have approached two publishers with my idea. Now they would like to see a list of tentative chapters, so even after collecting and deciding on the abstracts to use, there is no guarantee the book will be published, but I have made this a personal challenge and goal of mine.

I don't know about other parts of the world, but in the UK a new academic year has just begun. In Japan, where I am based, the Autumn semester has just started, so I expect many people are quite busy. I have therefore set a deadline for abstracts at the end of November/beginning of December. Please feel free to share this with your peers who may, for whatever reason, not be subscribed to the LINGUIST List. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Respectfully,
James Essex

                     General Linguistics
                     Sociolinguistics

Subject Language(s): English (eng)

Also you can take a look at it by visiting
http://linguistlist.org/issues/24/24-4839.html

Read other LINGUIST List posts:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/index.cfm

Get your own free subscription to The LINGUIST List:
http://linguistlist.org/LL/subs-index.cfm