[lg policy] Linguist List Issue: Documentary about Linguistic Prejudice and Imperialism

Thu Oct 3 13:18:49 UTC 2013

hfs thought you might be interested in this item from the LINGUIST List
hfs says ...

Message1: Documentary about Linguistic Prejudice and Imperialism
Date:02-Oct-2013
From:Joseph Campbell josephcampbellvideoproduction at gmail.com
LINGUIST List issue http://linguistlist.org/issues/24/24-3878.html

Hello. My name is Joseph Campbell. I am producing an independent documentary about linguistic prejudice and linguistic imperialism.

This is an independent production that will be open access - the film will be made available free of charge, for all types of viewing. We are even planning to encourage groups and non-profits to screen the film for their own fundraising purposes. Open access is important to me. In addition I would like to make the complete interviews available for those who are interested.

I have received incredible feedback from many academics about this project. But we are struggling with our open access production model, which is why we have launched a Kickstarter campaign to raise some funds. We are offering links to view the film on-line, DVDs, bumper stickers and coffee mugs as rewards. We are thinking to print, ''Support Freedom of Speech. Support Linguistic Diversity.'' on the mugs and bumper stickers.

The Kickstarter campaign is about more than raising funds, it is also about gaining an audience. In addition this film does not seek to represent any definitive views about linguistic prejudice and  linguistic imperialism; although we do have several experts in line to interview, the goal of this film is to relate personal experiences with language and hopefully raise discussion about language policy as well as support for linguistic diversity and positive bilingual/multilingual experiences.

In addition to Haitian Creole, Catalan, ASL we are planning to document Southern American Dialects, AAVE and Spanish in the US.

Here is the link to the Kickstarter page.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/languageandprejudice/language-and-prejudice

Thank You.

Joe

Linguistic Field(s): Sociolinguistics

Also you can take a look at it by visiting
http://linguistlist.org/issues/24/24-3878.html

Read other LINGUIST List posts:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/index.cfm

Get your own free subscription to The LINGUIST List:
http://linguistlist.org/LL/subs-index.cfm