[lg policy] Long S

Dave Sayers dave.sayers at CANTAB.NET
Thu Jul 24 18:08:15 UTC 2014

Esteemed colleagues, peers, etc.

I beseech thee for sincere opinions on a matter of great concern. Whereupon I hath
need to scribe passages from archaic manuscripts originating some three centuries
ago, wouldst thou permit as goodly, correct, and befitting of scholarly publication,
accurately and faithfully to reproduce the long S, viz. < ſ > ?

I provide herein an example, from a manuscript in my custody:

"Mr. Martin Keigwin likewiſe, and his ſon Mr. John Keigwin, both inhabitants of the
little fiſhing village of Moushole, and who had ſucked in the broken dialect with
their milk, were ready upon all occaſions to clear up any doubts that might ariſe,
and were generally fortunate in removing thoſe difficulties, which embarraſſed the
other Gentlemen."

As can readily be observed from the foregoing passage, the orthography may eventuate
in ambiguities to modern audiences, some vexatiously naughty.

I remain yours faithfully,
Dave J. Sayers

--
Dr. Dave Sayers
Senior Lecturer, Dept Humanities, Sheffield Hallam University, UK