[lg policy] Is it ok to sit and use a laptop during... - please vote!

Richard J Senghas richard.senghas at SONOMA.EDU
Sat Jun 7 23:38:55 UTC 2014

Although some qualifying comments were added below the poll options, the poll itself didn’t address *how* the devices might be being used in those various circumstances, which makes a very significant difference for me.  I find that many people are indeed able to attentively take notes on a computer as they follow a presentation or meeting (in fact, sometimes better with touch typing than with notes by hand) *without* distracting others because, in a very real sense, they aren’t distracted themselves; they are very present.  When I am in an audience or participating in a meeting, I am not distracted by others who are taking notes with computers.

However, as an audience member or meeting participant, I do tend to be distracted by those doing e-mail, messaging, and other tasks not directly related to the event at hand.  Their inattentiveness somehow draws attention.  It’s worse the closer I am to them, and I sometimes find myself having to relocate in some instances.

-RJS
Richard J. Senghas, Ph.D.
Chair of the Faculty
Professor, Anthropology