[lg policy] Creative Scotland to develop a plan for the Scots language

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 12 14:13:32 UTC 2014

Creative Scotland to develop a plan for the Scots language
  Thursday 12 June 2014

The nation's main arts funding body, Creative Scotland, is to make its
first concerted efforts to back the Scots language and culture.

In its annual plan, launched today, the funding body pledges to develop a
Scots Language policy and to ensure "it considers all aspects of Scots in
the cultural life of the country".

The body already has a Gaelic language plan and supports Gaelic activities,
but the new Scots policy will be new for Creative Scotland.

This month the body will unveil its film strategy, as well as reviewing
both literature and the visual arts.

The popular artist bursaries will be phased out in favour of 'open project
funding' which can be accessed by individuals and companies, with grants
between £1,000 and £150,000.

'Targeted' funds will also be reduced and there will be no new capital
funding projects announced this year.

Janet Archer, Creative Scotland's chief executive, said: "Obviously this
organisation is working in a Scottish context and our responsibility is to
understand Scottish culture in all of its forms. It's something the
Government is very keen on us taking it into account.

"What we now need to do to is actually work out what that means, and what
we don't want to do is do it by ourselves, we want to bring the right
experts into the mix."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/creative-scotland-to-develop-a-plan-for-the-scots-language.24466255