[lg policy] Germans try to get their tongues around gender-neutral language

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 25 15:05:46 UTC 2014

This reminds me about being at a concert recently where someone sang
Schubert's rendition of Goethe's poem "Der Erlkönig" except that it was
listed in the program, for some reason, as "*Die* Erlkönig".  I was going
to point that out to the organizers of the concert, but decided they'd
think I was being fussy or esoteric.  Now I see that this was a pre-saging
of what is going on already in Germany, according to this article!

I agree that gender of German nouns is a problem for non-native speakers,
and I've been known to fudge around if I don't know the gender of a noun,
and use a different noun that I *do* know the gender of.  But with Erlkönig
there's no problem--kings are masculine, or at least used to be.

Best,

Hal S.

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com