[lg policy] Wales: Welsh language action 'pause' against Government in 'hope' over education and planning bill

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 12 20:08:08 UTC 2014

 Campaign group Cymdeithas yr Iaith call truce with Carwyn Jones

   -  Sep 12, 2014 06:00 <http://www.walesonline.co.uk/by-date/12-09-2014>
   - By Sion Morgan <http://www.walesonline.co.uk/authors/sion-morgan/>

 Welsh language action 'pause' against Government in 'hope' over education
and planning bill
   <http://onelink.to/c8bmdd>

    Cymdeithas yr Iaith Gymraeg protest at the Senedd in Cardiff Bay
earlier this year

Campaign group Cymdeithas yr Iaith has announced a truce with the Welsh
Government after months of protest.

For months campaigners have called on the Government to adopt six basic
policy changes including Welsh-medium education for all, fair funding for
the language, and a new planning system to strengthen the language.

Members will now pause their direct action campaign following a language
policy statement by the First Minister.

In his statement, Carwyn Jones offered support in principle for the group’s
campaign for Welsh-medium education for all, and his commitment to consider
“every practical step to strengthen the Welsh language within the planning
system” has been welcomed.

The Welsh language has also been made one of the statutory welfare goals in
the Government’s sustainability bill.

Robin Farrar, chair of Cymdeithas yr Iaith, said: “The First Minister has
failed in his responsibility for the language.

“He should have a comprehensive strategy to strengthen the language in
light of the Census held three years ago.

“We have been heartened, however, that Carwyn Jones has given his personal
support for two of the six policies we have been pressing him to accept:
the principle that there should be a degree of Welsh-medium education for
all (by abolishing the derisive ‘second language Welsh’ concept), and his
intention to search for meaningful ways to include the Welsh language in
the Planning Bill.

“We have decided to take him at his word. We expect him to direct the
Donaldson review (of the education curriculum) to accept the principle of
Welsh-medium education for all, and ensure that the state of the language
and Welsh language communities are central to the Planning Bill. We expect
to see these developments this year.”

The temporary truce follows a string of stunts by Cymdeithas members, aimed
at First Minister Carwyn Jones.

Earlier this year supporters occupied Welsh Government buildings in Cardiff
and held a sit-in protest and last month two campaigners were fined for
daubing graffiti on a government building in Aberystwyth
<http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/welsh-language-campaigners-convicted-over-7549667>
.

Protests have also taken place outside the Senedd
<http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/senedd-protest-welsh-language-campaigners-7271886>
and at the National Eisteddfod.

The Welsh Government declined to comment.
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/campaign-group-cymdeithas-yr-iaith-7757104