[lg policy] What if printed books went by ebook rules?

Baron, Dennis E debaron at illinois.edu
Tue Apr 21 05:43:13 UTC 2015

There’s a new post on the Web of Language:

What if printed books went by ebook rules?

I love ebooks. Despite their unimaginative design, monotonous fonts, curious approach to hyphenation, and clunky annotation utilities, they’re convenient and easy on my aging eyes. But I wish they didn’t come wrapped in legalese. . . . Imagine if Gutenberg made his readers accept a Terms of Service agreement before they could read the Bibles he printed on that first printing press. . . . In its DRM agreement, Apple insists on calling what it sells not iBooks, but “iBooks Store Products,” and Amazon calls them, not Kindle books, but “KIndle Content.” Would Gutenberg have called his products, not Bibles, but Scriptural Piety Artifacts?

Read the full post on the Web of Language: http://bit.ly/1bfdBx8 <http://t.co/9hhxlOWrmc>