[lg policy] Malaysia:

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 14:36:26 UTC 2015

 Minister: Review English language policy in schools

*KOTA KINABALU:* Sabah Tourism, Culture and Environment MinisterDatuk Seri
Masidi Manjun said the Federal Government should relook the national
English language policy in schools.

He said this was to ensure the country’s future generations were proficient
in the language.

“One of the biggest weaknesses in securing a good job in the private sector
for workers is their poor command of English.

“ I think the government needs to relook our policies.

“I’m not saying the government has not done anything but we have not been
consistent with the policies,” he told reporters at the Shell Malaysia
Scholarship Award presentation here.

Masidi said the Federal Government should take the initiative to relook as
well as re-evaluate English competency among students to ensure they could
have better employment prospects after graduation.

Meanwhile, Shell Sabah general manager Ian Lim said the scholarship
programme had been running for more than 40 years.

He said Shell had invested more than RM400mil in helping over 1,500 young
Malaysians.

This year, Shell Malaysia would spend over RM12mil to sponsor 35 recipients.

Ten scholarships were offered to students in Sabah; seven are studying at
local universities, while three are overseas. — Bernama

http://www.thestar.com.my/Metro/Community/2015/08/26/Minister-Review-English-language-policy-in-schools/