[lg policy] South Africa: Unathi says sorry for vulgar language

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 15:00:37 UTC 2015

 Unathi says sorry for vulgar language August 28 2015 at 07:28am
By Lerato Mbangeni Comment on this story
<http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/gauteng/unathi-says-sorry-for-vulgar-language-1.1907058#comments_start>
[image:
Copy of ST mugn UnathiCry] SUPPLIED File photo: Idols SA judge and radio
host Unathi Msengana has apologised for her Twitter tirade.

Johannesburg - The Unathi Msengana saga has hopefully come to an end, with
the Idols SA judge apologising for the vulgar words she sent to a
19-year-old.

This is after the Metro FM presenter was on Wednesday suspended by the SABC
for her Twitter tirade.

In a statement on Thursday, Msengana said: “Two days ago, on radio, I
expressed an opinion on the language policy at Stellenbosch University. My
opinion became the subject of a Twitter debate.”

Msengana had spoken on her Metro FM morning show about the Luister
documentary that depicts how black students feel isolated at the university
because of its language policy. The documentary also shows the racist
environment black students face.

Msengana allegedly said black students at the university must have known
when they enrolled there that Afrikaans was the primary language of the
university. She found herself trending on Twitter, and the hashtag
#Unathibelike was created

to show how flawed her logic was.

“Unfortunately, some of the subsequent commentary criticised me in ways
that I felt badly violated my personal life and beliefs,” she said on
Thursday.

The main spat was between her and Wits student Palomino Jama.

Jama had contributed to the UnathiBeLike hashtag by tweeting: “Wife gets
beaten by husband. Unathi: Why didn’t you become a lesbian? You married him
knowing men can be abusive.”

The next morning, Jama woke up to a number of private messages from
Msengana’s Twitter account, saying: “Do you think insulting me, my marriage
and my sexuality is going to change your situation? You’re a f***ing idiot
if so… you’re f***ing delusional if you think you can get personal. F***
your stupid mind. No amount is going to change our realities. You psycho
b***h. F*** you twice over.”

Msengana said she should not have used offensive language.

“I therefore wish to publicly apologise for my choice in language,” her
statement read.
lerato.mbangeni at inl.co.za
http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/gauteng/unathi-says-sorry-for-vulgar-language-1.1907058#.VeB3RpeU2-c