[lg policy] South Africa: Unathi made to eat humble pie

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 14:43:41 UTC 2015

Unathi made to eat humble pie
Leonie Wagner | 28 August, 2015 06:48
Unathi Msengana
*Image by:* SUPPLIED
It has been a rough week for Unathi Msengana. After her Twitter outburst,
the radio and television personality was suspended from MetroFM's breakfast
show.

Related News

   - [image: Unathi apologises for Twitter rant]
   <http://www.timeslive.co.za/entertainment/celebrity/2015/08/27/Unathi-apologises-for-Twitter-rant>
Unathi
   apologises for Twitter rant
   <http://www.timeslive.co.za/entertainment/celebrity/2015/08/27/Unathi-apologises-for-Twitter-rant>
   - [image: Unathi taken off air after Twitter rant]
   <http://www.timeslive.co.za/thetimes/2015/08/27/Unathi-taken-off-air-after-Twitter-rant>
Unathi
   taken off air after Twitter rant
   <http://www.timeslive.co.za/thetimes/2015/08/27/Unathi-taken-off-air-after-Twitter-rant>

The decision to take the musician off air followed a Twitter rant in which
she swore at a listener who had criticised her for views she expressed
during the show.

Now, in an about turn, the MetroFM DJ and Idols SA judge has eaten humble
pie and apologised.

"Two days ago, on radio, I expressed an opinion on the language policy at
Stellenbosch University. Thereafter, my opinion became the subject of a
Twitter debate. Unfortunately, some of the subsequent commentary criticised
me in ways that I felt badly violated my personal life and my personal
beliefs," she said.

This relates to a tweet a listener posted under the #Unathi Be Like in
response to what many listeners felt was the DJ's support of the
university's alleged racist policies.

Earlier this week SABC spokesman Kaizer Kganyago told The Times her
behaviour "tainted" the station's image.

Msengana described her conduct as a "bad attempt to defend myself".

"However, as upset as I was at that time, I should not have used offensive
language. I therefore wish to publicly apologise for my choice in language.
Going forward, whilst I refuse to be bullied on Twitter about my opinions,
I will exercise better judgment when using this platform. I thank those who
have supported me."

But not everyone was convinced. Some Twitter followers felt the apology was
half-hearted.

@Llyric_ said: "That was not an apology . it sounded forced."

Another follower, @AuntyVovo said: "Unathi's apology sounded like: 'I was
right but I'm sorry anyway, whatever'."

@MvelaseP said: "Without a doubt Unathi's opinions about Stellenbosch are
pure trash but she shouldn't have been pulled off air or made to apologise."

http://www.timeslive.co.za/thetimes/2015/08/28/Unathi-made-to-eat-humble-pie