[lg policy] Karnataka: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/bengaluru/Developing-government-schools-takes-time-private-ones-have-money/articleshow/46159742.cms?

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 23:00:19 UTC 2015

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/bengaluru/Developing-government-schools-takes-time-private-ones-have-money/articleshow/46159742.cms
?Pavan M V
<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/toireporter/author-Pavan-M-V.cms> | Feb
8, 2015, 04.00 AM IST
inShare
Comments
<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/bengaluru/Developing-government-schools-takes-time-private-ones-have-money/articleshow/46159742.cms?#write>
More
<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/bengaluru/Developing-government-schools-takes-time-private-ones-have-money/articleshow/46159742.cms?prtpage=1>
READ MORE Supreme Court
<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/topic/Supreme-Court>|Primary And
Secondary Education Minister
<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/topic/Primary-and-secondary-education-minister>
|Kimmane Ratnakar
<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/topic/Kimmane-Ratnakar>|Karnataka
Government <http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/topic/Karnataka-government>|BENGALURU:
Eight months after the Supreme Court pronounced that it is parents who will
have to decide what language their children should study, the Karnataka
government has stuck to its argument that the medium of instruction must be
Kannada. TOI asked primary and secondary education minister Kimmane
Ratnakar the logic behind the government's argument. Excerpts:

* Why is the Karnataka government so adamant on having Kannada as a medium
of instruction despite the SC ruling that says parents can decide what
their children should study?

We work for the aspiration of the people of Karnataka. We are doing this
because Kannadigas need this.

* The state of Kannada medium schools is pathetic. If Kannada should be
promoted, why have you neglected these schools?

Private schools collect donation, so those schools are in good condition.
There are 1.4 crore children studying in the state, of whom 84 lakh study
in government schools. There are about 60,000 government schools, so it is
difficult for us. It takes time to develop our schools, it's not an easy
thing.

* If the Supreme Court rejects your curative petition, what is your next
course of action?

We are inclined positively to implement the language policy in the state,
so we have filed the curative petition. Why should we think negatively? If
it is rejected, we will reveal our plans then.

*How do you plan to encourage students to learn Kannada voluntarily?

We will make Kannada a compulsory language in schools, so that all other
non-Kannada speaking people in the state also learn the language.

HIGHLIGHT QUOTE

In a globalized era, isn't it impractical for Karnataka to deprive lakhs of
children from studying English?

We are not opposing English. In countries like France, China and Germany,
children study in their respective languages. Children of these countries
are doing well globally. Similarly if Kannada becomes the medium of
instruction for our kids, they will also do well. Learning English after
primary level will not be a burden on them.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/bengaluru/Developing-government-schools-takes-time-private-ones-have-money/articleshow/46159742.cms
?

Germany <http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/topic/Germany>
RELATED

   - Supreme Court judges bat for succinct judgments
   <http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Supreme-Court-judges-bat-for-succinct-judgments/articleshow/45017501.cms>
   - No video-recording of court proceedings: Supreme Court
   <http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/No-video-recording-of-court-proceedings-Supreme-Court/articleshow/45771221.cms>
   - Supreme Court reserves order on Salman Khan case
   <http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/hindi/bollywood/news/Supreme-Court-reserves-order-on-Salman-Khan-case/articleshow/45043799.cms>
   - Judges cannot demand respect through contempt power: Supreme Court
   <http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Judges-cannot-demand-respect-through-contempt-power-Supreme-Court/articleshow/45017668.cms>
   - Supreme Court junks HC order on caste-based census
   <http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Supreme-Court-junks-HC-order-on-caste-based-census/articleshow/45076166.cms>