[lg policy] Scotland: Creative Scotland publishes its policy for Scots language

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 15:34:56 UTC 2015

 Media Release: Creative Scotland publishes its policy for Scots language
 [image: Creative Scotland Publishes its policy for Scots Language.]

CREATIVE Scotland is today publishing its first Scots Language Policy,
underlining the organisation’s commitment to supporting the language
through its own work and the work that it funds across the arts, screen and
creative industries.

A key element of the policy is the creation of the role of Scots Scriever,
a first for Scotland, and a joint initiative between Creative Scotland and
the National Library of Scotland.

This role, open to applications from today, will be a two-year residency,
based at the National Library of Scotland supported with funding from
Creative Scotland.

The purpose of the role of Scots Scriever will be to produce original
creative work in Scots, its variants and dialects, across any art-form, as
well as raising awareness, appreciation and use of Scots across the country
and amongst all parts of the population.

Creative Scotland’s Scots Language Policy was published today at an event
hosted by the National Library of Scotland and attended by Fiona Hyslop,
Cabinet Secretary for Culture, Europe and External Affairs and the writer
and Scots publisher, James Robertson.

Fiona Hyslop, Cabinet Secretary for Culture, Europe and External Affairs,
said: “The Scottish Government’s ambition is for the Scots language to be
recognised, valued and use in Scottish public and community life.

“The Scots language is an essential part of Scotland’s distinctive culture
and heritage, and the Scottish Government takes seriously the promotion of
the Scots language throughout Scotland in all its regional and local
variants.

“In adopting this policy, Creative Scotland acknowledges the contribution
the Scots language has brought, and continues to bring, to Scotland’s rich
culture and heritage, in a country with over 1.5 million Scots speakers.”

James Robertson said: “I welcome this strong statement of commitment and
intent from Creative Scotland. It recognises Scots both as a part of the
identity and daily life of hundreds of thousands of people, and as a
special national cultural asset.

“I hope this policy encourages creative individuals and organisations
throughout the land to engage with Scots in all kinds of ways.

“This is not about looking back, whatever the language’s past achievements:
it is about ensuring that Scots goes forward to be seen and heard in the
future.”

Jenny Niven, head of Literature, Publishing and Languages at Creative
Scotland, said: “We have provided support for Scots across a range of art
forms for many years now including literature, theatre, music and film.

“What this policy does, however, is provide focus for our efforts to
support the language in all its variants and dialects, generating a sense
of renewed energy and intent. We are particularly pleased to be working in
partnership with the National Library of Scotland to host the new Scots
Scriever role which will further support the work to support Scots
undertaken by us and many other organisations.”

Dr John Scally, National Librarian at the National Library of Scotland,
said: “We are delighted to be working with Creative Scotland in creating
this exciting new writing role, as part of our continuing commitment to the
Scots language.

“Our collections are rich in Scots and include some of the earliest
examples of written Scots through to writers such as Robert Burns, Hugh
MacDiarmid and, in more recent times, Irvine Welsh.”

*ENDS*

*Notes to Editors*

Creative Scotland’s Scots Language Policy is published today, 3 June, and
can be found here:
http://www.creativescotland.com/what-we-do/latest-news/archive/2015/06/scots-language-policy-published

Details on the Scots Screiver role including how to apply can be found
here: http://www.nls.uk/scriever-residency

http://www.nls.uk/scriever-residencie

The role of Scots Scriever is jointly supported by Creative Scotland, with
funding of £50,000, and the National Library of Scotland who will host the
role, provide administrative support and access to their Scots archive.

This is a unique type of writer residency with a high level of public
engagement, a creative response to Scots collections at the National
Library of Scotland, and regular ongoing output in Scots all required
throughout the tenure.

The purpose of the Scriever residency is specifically:

   - to produce original, creative work in Scots (any variant or dialect)
   in any genre or discipline throughout the tenure
   - to have explicit responsibility for raising the profile, understanding
   and appreciation of creative work in the Scots language, including that
   held within the National Library’s collections. The residency runs for a
   period of two years, based at the National Library, with an approximate
   engagement of one week per month throughout that time. It is anticipated
   that around 50 per cent of the time will be spent on producing new creative
   work and 50 per cent on the profile raising/public engagement aspect of the
   role. Applicants are encouraged from across Scotland; a travel bursary is
   available as part of the role.

*For further information, please contact:*

Kenneth Fowler, Director of Communications
07970 557 960
Kenneth.fowler at creativescotland.com

Creative Scotland is the public body that supports the arts, screen and
creative industries across all parts of Scotland on behalf of everyone who
lives, works or visits here. We do this through funding, development,
advocacy and influence and we distribute funding from the Scottish
Government and the National Lottery.

We want Scotland to be a country where excellence and experimentation
across the arts, screen and creative industries is recognised and valued;
everyone can access and enjoy artistic and creative experiences; places and
quality of life are transformed through imagination, ambition and an
understanding of the potential of creativity; ideas are brought to life by
a diverse, skilled and connected leadership and workforce; Scotland is a
distinctive creative nation connected to the world.

For further information on Creative Scotland please visit
www.creativescotland.com.

Follow us @creativescots and www.facebook.com/CreativeScotland.

*MEDIA RELEASE* issued by Creative Scotland. You too can post your story
ideas for journalists (aka press or media releases), on allmediascotland.com.
Email info at allmediascotland.com for more information.

Check out twitter.com/nonstopstories
<http://www.twitter.com/nonstopstories> for
your very own media releases feed…

To catch up on all the media releases recently posted on to
allmediascotland.com, you need only click the link icon that you see
towards the bottom right of our two media release ‘gateway boxes’.

[image: Link icon]
<http://www.allmediascotland.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Linkincon.jpg>It’s
this icon, here. It’s your route straight into the rich archive.

—

Creative Scotland contact details…

*Contact:* Kenneth Fowler

http://www.allmediascotland.com/media-releases/101282/media-release-creative-scotland-publishes-its-policy-for-scots-language/