[lg policy] First monument to Cyrillic alphabet unveiled in Mongolia capital

Fierman, William wfierman at indiana.edu
Tue May 12 12:50:43 UTC 2015

First monument to Cyrillic alphabet unveiled in Mongolia capital
http://www.focus-fen.net/news/2015/05/11/371901/first-monument-to-cyrillic-alphabet-unveiled-in-mongolia-capital.html

11 May 2015 | 13:57 | FOCUS News Agency
First monument to Cyrillic alphabet unveiled in Mongolia capitalSource: Focus Information Agency
Ulan Bator. First monument to the Cyrillic alphabet was unveiled in the Mongolian capital Ulan Bator in the frames of Bulgarian President Rosen Plevneliev's visit to Mongolia. The monument with Slavic alphabet letters was raised in the garden of 118th school in the city and the ceremony at which it was unveiled was attended by the Mongolian culture minister, the Mongolian ambassador in Sofia, teachers and pupils, the press centre of the President's Office announced.
"We here most clearly realise the grandeur of the deed of holy Equal-to-the-Apostles Saints Cyril and Methodius and their pupils - 11 centuries after the Cyrillic alphabet was created, it continues being used by over 300 million people from the Far East through Mongolia to the heart of Europe," the Head of State said, speaking at the solemn ceremony.
"Our alphabet today brings light and enlightenment to over 50 people, which besides Bulgarians and Mongolians, are the Russian, Belorussian, Ukrainian, Serbian, and many others. We, Bulgarians, are proud as we think the preservation of the deed of holy brothers Cyril and Methodius and spreading the Cyrillic alphabet worldwide is our valuable contribution," Rosen Plevneliev remarked.

(c) 2015 All rights reserved. Citing Focus Information Agency is mandatory!