[lg policy] India (Karnataka) We never opposed teaching English in schools: 'Mukhyamantri’ Chandru

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 19:38:13 UTC 2015

We never opposed teaching English in schools: 'Mukhyamantri’ Chandru

   - Special Correspondent

"There is an urgent need to bring in a formulate and implement a national
education policy in order to preserve and develop Indian languages,"
'Mukhyamantri’ Chandru, former chairman of the Kannada development
authority said in Bidar on Saturday.

He was responding to the national Go. Ru Channabasappa award given by
Karnataka Barahagarara Mattu Kalavidara Sangha in the Zilla Rang Mandir.
That, he reasoned, would not only help Indian languages, but also help the
poorest of the poor get access to education.

"Pro-Kannada activists like us have been demanding that all schools should
teach children in their mother tongue till fifth standard. However, we have
never opposed English teaching. We have only been asking that proper
grammar should be taught by trained teachers," he said.

He took objection to the fact that successive governments had failed to
properly implement the three language policy in the state. We have also
failed to utilize the opportunity of Kannada being classified as a
classical language, he said.

He urged the government to strive to get its share of waters of the rivers
Krishna, Cauvery, and Mahadayi. The union government should formulate a
national water policy to ensure this, he said. He said that youngsters from
all state should get equal representation in public employment.

K. Chinnappa Gowda, vice chancellor, Karnataka Folklore university, spoke
of the need to create awareness among youth about native culture and
traditions. Dr Channabasappa, inaugurated a district level Bhajana
competition.

Bhagwant Khuba, MP, Sri Basavalinga Pattaddevaru, Seer of the Bhalki Hire
Math, Jagannath Hebbale, president of the Sangha, B. V Rajaram, theatre
personality and others were present.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/karnataka/we-never-opposed-teaching-english-in-schools-mukhyamantri-chandru/article7904136.ece
?