[lg policy] What is David Starkey up to here?

Dave Sayers dave.sayers at cantab.net
Thu Oct 29 13:56:32 UTC 2015

Hmm, I'd considered litotes but concluded that this is something different. Litotes
is more about back-handed compliments, "damned with faint praise", that sort of
thing. Hypothetitio is a different rhetorical manoeuvre, offering an assertion but
concealing it within a hypothetical conversation. Thanks anyway for taking the time.

Dave

--
Dr. Dave Sayers
Senior Lecturer, Dept Humanities, Sheffield Hallam University | www.shu.ac.uk

On 29/10/2015 13:48, lgpolicy-list-request at groups.sas.upenn.edu wrote:
> Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 13:45:53 +0000
> From: "Baron, Dennis E"<debaron at illinois.edu>
> Subject: Re: [lg policy] What is David Starkey up to here?
> To: language language policy<lgpolicy-list at groups.sas.upenn.edu>
>
> I didn’t watch the video, but I won’t insult you by telling you the term you’re looking for is probably liitotes, Dave.
>
> Dennis
>
> Dennis Baron
> Professor of English and Linguistics
> Department of English