[lg policy] Fwd: 3rd/final call (for speakers & spectators): 'UK language policy after Brexit' free conf, Thurs 15 Sept 2016, Sheffield

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 15:38:11 UTC 2016

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <lpren at caltalk.cal.org>
Date: Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 4:59 PM
Subject: 3rd/final call (for speakers & spectators): 'UK language policy
after Brexit' free conf, Thurs 15 Sept 2016, Sheffield
To: CAL Language Policy Research Network <lpren at caltalk.cal.org>

CAL Language Policy Research Network
*************************************
In case you missed my first two egregiously cross-posted advertisements...
please do come along to this one-day conference, Thursday 15 Sept in sunny
Sheffield. https://go.shu.ac.uk/uklangpolicybrexit. We'll talk about Brexit
more than UKIP! (Too soon?)

Anyway I promise to stay mostly quiet on the day itself. The deadline for
abstracts is this Friday, 26th August (for spectators it's Thurs 8 Sept).
We've already had a very impressive selection of abstract submissions, from
education to policy to literature studies, from across UK and from the USA
too. Then there's the plenary talk by Professor Rob Dunbar (University of
Edinburgh): http://www.ed.ac.uk/literatures-languages-cultures/celtic-
scottish-studies/staff/professor-rob-dunbar. I know I'm hardly impartial
but Rob is probably the best possible person to discuss all this, with his
many and varied experiences in language policy across the UK. We're
exceptionally lucky to have him. He'll be discussing possible effects on
both 'autochthonous' and 'allochthonous' languages, and on the myriad
EU-funded language policy programmes like Mercator. His full abstract will
follow shortly on the website, but his talk promises to be quite an
education.

The event is free (or will be unless we're really inundated, in which case
we'll need to raise a small fee just to help with catering). As above,
non-presenting spectators are welcome, as well as speakers.

And as I've said before, this event is more about informed speculations
than precise 'research findings' or clear plans. And you're welcome to
propose all manner of different formats of contribution, from mini
Pecha-Kucha type presentations to regular talks to larger workshops. We
might even find space for poetry recitals and interpretive dance. These
political developments are all so recent, this event is as much for mutual
head-scratching and group-hugging than for crystal-clear enlightening.

Please register (whether you're speaking or spectating), at
https://go.shu.ac.uk/uklangpolicybrexit. Directions and other
practicalities are on that site too - we're a 3-minute walk from Sheffield
train station! And we have some funding to cover childcare at the
university nursery!

Please distribute this to anyone who might be interested, and please plug
this in your networks - for those on Twitter, you could simply retweet my
announcement here:
https://twitter.com/DaveJSayers/status/760475869177610240

Any questions, please do get in touch. Hopefully see you here in Sheffield!

Dave

--
Dr. Dave Sayers, ORCID no. 0000-0003-1124-7132
Senior Lecturer, Dept Humanities, Sheffield Hallam University |

LPReN serves as a conduit for the dissemination of information by its
members without implying endorsement of concepts or opinions expressed.

---
You are currently subscribed to lpren as: haroldfs at gmail.com.
6109.ba4b7ee018c64f0139f37618abfaf498&n=T&l=lpren&o=595078
or send a blank email to leave-595078-136109.ba4b7ee018
c64f0139f37618abfaf498 at caltalk.cal.org

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com