[lg policy] South Africa: De la Rey: Key issue for universities is funding

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 14:47:33 UTC 2016

 De la Rey: Key issue for universities is funding

Vice-Chancellor of the University of Pretoria, Prof. Cheryl de la Rey told
Jacaranda FM that they need to wait for the outcomes of various processes
before changing TUKS' language policy.
Published: Aug. 30, 2016, 7:42 a.m. by MornéJK

[image: Prof. Cheryl de la Rey] Jacaranda FM

This comes after various protests against Afrikaans as a language of
instruction at the institution.

De la Rey said, in an interview with the Complimentary Breakfast's Rian van
Heerden, that they are awaiting the outcome of an ongoing court case before
they can look at implementing any changes to the current language policy.

"When this process started I indicated to everyone that there is a
regulatory process to be followed. What that requires is that the Minister
of Higher Education and Training to change the statute of the University of
Pretoria."

She added that TUKS' statue specifies the language of tuition and that this
needs to change before any policy changes could be looked at.

"The contestation is around the right to education in any of the official
languages and we have to wait for the outcome before implementing changes,"
she told host, Rian van Heerden.

*ALSO READ: Commission of Inquiry on tertiary fees to submit report to Zuma
<https://www.jacarandafm.com/news-sport/news/commission-inquiry-tertiary-fees-submit-report-zuma/>*

De la Rey also touched on free education and said the key issue is funding
for Universities because tuition fees are their main source of income.

"At the moment government is saying to us that they realise there is a need
to fund universities better but they are not able to increase funding in
the current economic climate," de la Rey said.

She reiterated that throughout the schooling system in South Africa there
is a fee, and therefore it should it not be unreasonable to charge a fee
for universities.

"We have looked at models where we look at students and classify them
according a differentiated fee model, which will mean that you will have to
pay according to what your family can afford."

https://www.jacarandafm.com/news-sport/news/de-la-rey-key-issue-universities-funding/